Lost & Found
Cal Poly Lost & Found (CPLF), located in building 70, securely stores and manages most items found on campus. Cal Poly Lost and Found may be contacted by calling (805) 756-2321. Our hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm weekdays, excluding holidays.
CPLF does NOT accept the following items:
- Poly Card ID's - Direct all found Poly Cards to Poly Card Services located in building 46, room 100. Poly Card Services can be reached at (805) 756-2614.
- State Keys, Residence Hall Keys - Direct all found state keys and residence hall keys to the Cal Poly Key Shop located in building 58. The Cal Poly Key Shop can be reached at (805) 756-5220
- Web Access Cards - Direct all found Web Access cards to University Housing in building 171A. University Housing can be reached at (805) 756-1587.
- Bicycles - Direct all found bicycles to the University Police Department located in building 36. The University Police Department can be reached at (805) 756-2281.
- Hazardous or Odorous Material - For health reasons, CPLF will not accept wet items (bathing suits/trunks, towels), undergarments, shoes, food items, used dishware (food containers, plastic water bottles, eating utensils), bedding, or questionable clothing.
Turning In A Found Item
All non-restricted items found on campus should be turned in immediately and directly to Cal Poly Lost & Found. CPLF does not provide campus pickup service for found items. Provide the following information when turning in found items:
- Date and approximate time when the item was found.
- Location where the item was found.
- Name of department turning in the found item (if applicable).
Reporting a Lost Item
To check for lost personal items, contact Cal Poly Lost & Found and supply the following information:
- Email address
- Full name
- Phone number
- Description of the lost item - must include a general description, the brand name (if any), and the primary color
- Approximate time and location of loss
Once a report of a lost item has been made, a confirmation e-mail is sent from Cal Poly Lost & Found. If possible matches are found, the potential owner is notified immediately via email or telephone. The potential owner will be asked to confirm the match in person at CPLF, provide picture identification, and sign for the item before it is released.
Found items valued at $300 or more are kept for three months from the date the item is received by Cal Poly Lost & Found. After three months, the property is processed to be sold through an online auction site for public agencies: http://www.publicsurplus.com. Any property for which no bid is made is disposed of following the sale. Monies received by the campus from public auction are used for scholarships and loans for students. For more information, please refer to CAP line 335 and CSU Policy Number 3250.01e.