Year-End Payroll Information for Cal Poly Employees
Important 2014 W-2 Announcement
- Employees should review the address that is printed on the bottom of their October 31, 2014 paycheck stub. This is the address to which your Form W-2 will be mailed. If this is not the correct address, please correct your address through the My Cal Poly Portal. Once you are logged in to the portal, go to the “Personal Info” tab and then click on “Home and Mailing Addresses.” All address changes must be submitted by December 12, 2014. If you are not able to change your address via the My Cal Poly Portal, please contact Payroll Services at 756-2605.
2014 Holiday Informal Time Off (TBD)
Form W-2: Wage and Tax Information
- State Controller's Office Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Form W-2
- Request for a duplicate W-2 from the State Controller's Office
Absence Management Self Service
- It is important that all absences for 2014, including December, are entered online in Absence Management Self Service no later than January 2, 2015.
- All absences must be approved by management no later than January 5, 2015 in order to be processed.
Year-End Vacation Rollover Request
- Payroll Service’s staff review vacation leave balances to ensure that balances as of January 1st do not exceed maximum amounts allowed by bargaining unit agreements or CSU policy. Vacation leave balances may exceed these maximums throughout the year. However, any vacation balance that exceeds the maximum allowed by an employee’s bargaining unit or by CSU policy as of January 1st will be forfeited unless Payroll Services has received an approved “Year-End Vacation Rollover Request” form.
Excess/Deficit Year-End Balance Reconciliation
- Cal Poly tracks excess and deficit hours worked (“Excess/Deficit” or “Plus/Minus”) resulting when an employee has an alternate work schedule. This record-keeping is required by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for non-exempt employees only. An alternate work schedule is defined as any schedule other than Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day. Any alternate schedule change (including the beginning and ending of an alternate schedule) must be reported to Payroll Services.
- In January 2015, any employee with a deficit hours balance as of December 31, 2014 will receive a separate communication from Payroll Services to provide an opportunity to use other previously earned time to offset the deficit balance.
- If an employee has no other type of leave balance to offset the deficit balance, a dock in pay for the deficit hours will be processed against the current month’s pay.
- For more information, please review Payroll Services Alternate/Compressed Schedule – Frequently Asked Questions page.
Social Security Wage Cap
Social Security limits the amount of earnings subject to taxation for each year. For employees whose Social Security contributions have stopped due to meeting the 2014 maximum ($117,000), deductions will resume on the December paycheck issued January 1, 2015.