Tuition Statement (1098-T)
At the end of each tax year, Cal Poly is required to furnish a 1098-T form, also known as a Tuition Statement, to each student who was enrolled during that respective tax year and whose total tuition and qualified expenses exceed scholarships and grants (this means that if your grants and/or scholarships totaled more than your tuition fees (also called registration fees), you will not get a 1098-T).
The 1098-T is available by January 31 of the new year. It is mailed to the student's mailing address, as well as being available for download from the Cal Poly portal. The data on the form is also reported to the IRS, also required.
- Each campus has the option of reporting either payments made for tuition and qualified expenses (Box 1) or amounts billed for tuition and qualified expenses (Box 2). Cal Poly has chosen to report amounts billed. Therefore, Box 1 will always be blank.
- The total in Box 2 may be an odd amount (includes cents) because the health service fee portion of registration fees is not a qualified charge, and therefore, is not included in the Box 2 total.
- Please refer to the "Instructions for Student" section of the 1098-T form for more information.
- The 1098-T may be downloaded from the Cal Poly portal. Simply click the Money Matters tab and look for the Student Center link under the Student Accounts & Payment Info column.
In The Student Center (Finance Section)
1098T Detail Inquiry link - a downloadable 1098-T tax statement.
Reminder: if your grants and/or scholarships totaled more than your tuition fees (also called registration fees), there will be no 1098-T information to download.
1098T Print Option Inquiry link - Because the 1098-T statement contains sensitive information, Cal Poly is now offering its students the option of not having the information mailed. If you would prefer downloading your 1098-T information through your secured portal access, please access the Print Option Inquiry link and choose the electronic access option - then save your update.
Student Loans (Interest Paid)
As per the Taxpayer Relief Act (TRA), student loan lenders must provide interest paid information to their loan borrowers annually.
Federal Perkins and Institutional Student Loans
Cal Poly is the loan lender for these loan types. As such, we have contracted with a billing service, ECSI, to provide our borrowers with the required annual interest paid information, as well as repayment management services.
- Any borrower that paid interest on their Cal Poly student loan in the designated tax year will receive interest paid information on their February, March, or April ECSI-generated billing statement. You may obtain a copy of your billing statement by accessing the ECSI web site: http://www.ecsi.net, or you may call ECSI for the information: (888) 549-3274.
Federal Stafford (Sub/Unsub); Parent (PLUS); Alternative; and All Other Loan Types With A Lender Other Than Cal Poly
Please contact your loan lender(s) for your annual interest paid information.