William and Linda Frost Center for Research and Innovation
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo plans to build a new facility at the center of campus, nestled just north of the Baker Center for Science and next to existing Agricultural, Science and Liberal Arts buildings.
This new facility will bring three different colleges together under one roof: the College of Science and Mathematics (CSM), the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) and the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
This new Science and Agriculture Teaching and Research Complex will support the educational priorities of a growing Cal Poly student and faculty population, promote interdisciplinary communities and will also provide research for undergraduate students and academic space. Plans include student collaboration areas, faculty and staff offices, shared conference and seminar rooms, and a mix of large to medium sized lecture halls and classroom spaces. Additionally the building will include larger scale teaching spaces for use by the general university population.
The vision set forth for this project by Cal Poly’s leadership is to create a building that will demonstrate Cal Poly’s excellence in faculty mentored student research, its robust embrace of interdisciplinary endeavors, and put on full display the ownership of its motto, ‘Learn by Doing’ at a highly visible and trafficked campus crossroads.
Current Project Notifications
- Pedestrians and vehicles should travel with caution on Poly Vue Drive.
- N. Perimeter Rd sidewalk between Building 22 English and Building 47 Faculty Offices North will be closed. Pedestrians should utilize alternative paths and use designated crosswalks.
- Cyclist and vehicles shall share the road between Via Carta and Safety Way East on Perimeter Rd.
- Occupants of Building 10 Agriculture, Building 22 English, Building 47 Faculty Offices North, Building 53 Science North, and Building 180 Center for Science will observe construction noise and activity from the work site between Buildings 22 and 47.
- Faculty teaching in the impacted buildings listed above may request sound proofing panels to cover classroom windows or pedestal fans for comfort. To request panels or fans please contact the Facilities Help Center at 805-756-5555 or email@example.com.
- Project support staff are available to speak about the project impacts to classes or at department meetings. To schedule please contact Jessica Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org with the desired date and time.
- Buildings adjacent to construction site with ventilation & heating only HVAC systems will be scheduled for “night flush” to help improve comfort for occupants. Ventilation will be scheduled to full at night to maximize intake of cooler evening air and scheduled to minimum during the day when temperatures are warmer. This will help to maintain a more comfortable temperature for occupants with closed windows. Building heat will be scheduled off for the summer.
- The preventative maintenance schedule for HVAC systems of buildings adjacent to construction site will be increased to maintain maximum efficiency.
- Sound and dust barriers will be installed at designated locations in the construction site to mitigate noise and dust.
Please continue to check back to this page for project news, construction notifications, and updates.
Where is it Going?
The image below details the planned footprint of the new building.
Facilities Management & Development (FMD) broke ground May 3, 2019. Staff, faculty, and students who work or attend classes near the construction site can anticipate the presence of fencing, work trucks and personnel, construction related noises and activity, and some restricted access to the neighboring buildings. Although some disruption is unavoidable, every effort will be taken to minimize disruption to classes and work.
Beginning in the Spring Quarter FMD representatives will be available to meet with faculty and students to answer any questions about the construction and explain detour paths. Faculty may contact the Facilities Help Center at 1-805-756-5555 or email@example.com to request a representative to come and speak with their class.
Follow us on Inside CalPoly Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and check this page for periodic updates.
Facilities Management & Development