Cal Poly's Building Permit Program formalizes all project planning and code compliance reviews performed by various departments, auxiliaries and committees. Permit requests are submitted to the Facilities Management & Development Help Center.
Building Permits fall into two categories: 1) Permits initiated by Facilities Planning & Capital Projects as part of a project and 2) Permits initiated by a campus entity which is not part of a project. If your project has a Facilities Project Manager they will handle the permitting process for you.
Under specific circumstances a Department or Auxiliary may undertake a project with their own resources. Please allow a minimum of six weeks when submitting a permit request to allow for inspections, plan review, and State Fire Marshall approval. Please include supporting documentation with your permit request such as a scope description, specifications, plans, drawings, photos, etc. and be sure that it is signed by the authorizing entity for your department.
Activities Requiring a Building Permit
- Any furniture installation
- Activities involving building or roof structures
- Activity that will disturb any building surface (interior or exterior)
- Any activity with temporary membrane structures, tents, or canopies
- Any activity in or adjacent to a designated waterway, creek or drainage route
- Any activity that may add, alter or modify ada requirements
- Any underground or overhead work
- Awnings and trellises
- Building additions, alterations, remodels and/or tenant improvements
- Electrical, mechanical, plumbing or building additions or alterations
- Equipment installation requiring more than plug and cord
- Garden walls and retaining walls
- Landscaping and related improvements or modifications, including drainage
- Patios, decks and fences
- Satellite dish or antenna installations, modifications or removals on campus
- Security & intrusion alarms including keypads, card swipes, panic buttons etc.
- Signage installation, modification or removal
*Please note this list is not inclusive.here!