Exit Interview Requirements For Educational Debt
The following information is provided to assist you with three things:
- Determining educational debt types (federal/non-federal loans; unpaid Cal Poly student account debt; Grants/Scholarships with service credit requirements)
- Successfully completing the exit interview requirement for each applicable debt type; and
- Understanding that some debt types may not have an exit interview requirement, but still have a repayment requirement.
Educational Debt Types
Before you do anything you should summarize your educational debt types. Download the Debt Comparison Chart for a summary of the debt you could have incurred (specific debt types per student can be determined by utilizing the Educational Debt Worksheet (below).
Educational debt types vary (federal/non-federal loans; unpaid Cal Poly student account debt; and Grants/Scholarships with service credit requirements). Each debt type has its own repayment terms and is a separate repayment obligation. Each may be included on your personal credit report.
To determine what you owe, please print out the Educational Debt Worksheet.
Once you have completed the Worksheet, you will know your debt types and exit interview requirements. You may then use the exit links below to complete your exit interview requirements.
NOTE: NSLDS will summarize all federal loans and/or grants disbursed to you. Only the federal Teach Grant program has a post-enrollment service requirement. Other grants summarized on NSLDS are for informational purposes only.
Once you know your debt types, you are ready to complete the exit interview process.
Each debt type referenced below is a link to the exit interview instructions you need. If you have questions please contact your Exit Interview Counselor for assistance (include your full name and your Cal Poly EmplID number with all correspondence).
- Federal Stafford and Graduate PLUS student loans - Subsidized & unsubsidized student loans lent by and repaid to a bank, and/or Direct Lending through the Department of Education.
- Federal Perkins student loan - A federal loan lent by and repaid to Cal Poly through a billing service (ECSI).
- Federal Teach Grant - Disbursed through the Department of Education.
- Cal Poly institutional (campus-based) loans &/or Robert Noyce Scholarship - A non-federal loan/scholarship lent by and repaid to Cal Poly through a contracted billing service (ECSI).