Coronavirus Information from Administration & Finance

Hiring State Student Assistants (SA) Overview

Step 1:

Become familiar with the student assistant employment program

  • Important: Ensure student meets eligibility requirements for the position per the Student Handbook

Step 2:

Determine the position number/funding source for student positions in your department

  • Please submit a New Student Position Number Request Form to Budget only if:
    • The student position will be funded from non-general funds (i.e. University Campus Programs), and you don't already have a student position established
    • It will be split between two funding sources
  • You will need to know the correct position number to create the Student Employment Request Form (SERF)

Step 3:

Hire the student in the Student Pay System.

If you receive a message that the student needs an I-9 completed move on to step 4. If you receive a message stating the student is now hired and may now enter time nothing further is needed.

Step 4:

Complete the Student Employment Request Form (SERF) only for employees who need a new student employee intake

Step 5:

Email with the name, Empl ID, and email address of employees who need a new student employee intake.

Step 6:

Confirm the new student assistant has completed their intake with Payroll Services no later than the FIRST day of work for pay

  • The student is required to present documents to establish their identity and authorization to work: Form I-9 List of Acceptable Documents
  • The student is required to present their original Social Security Card (in addition to the Form I-9 requirements) before they can receive pay
  • The student may not begin working until Payroll has authorized the Form I-9

Additional Federal Work Study Position Requirements:

  • The student must bring their Federal Work Study Award letter
  • The student must meet ALL payroll requirements before they can begin working

Step 7:

The student assistant will have access to their online timesheet within 3-5 business days

Additional information:

Obtain security to the online Student Payroll System

  • Ensure any department user who needs access to hire or approve online in the Student Payroll System has security
  • Obtain security by submitting a "Technical Service Request" from the My Cal Poly Portal
  • Security request must by authorized by the Department Head
  • Security for this process is found under the PeopleSoft Human Resources section, then Payroll
  • Please call Jennifer Hiatt in Payroll Services at 6-5862 if you need assistance with this security request process

Student Payroll Questions?

Payroll Services

Main Line

Monica Bennett

Student Payroll Lead