Though the likelihood of being caught in an active shooter situation is low, incidents like these are happening with increased frequency. The steps to take in an active shooter situation can be summarized with three words: Run. Hide. Fight.
Run. Hide. Fight.
RUN when it's safe to run.
- If there is an escape path, try to get out to a place of safety as fast as possible. Leave swiftly whether others agree to or not.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Prevent anyone approaching from entering the area.
- Call 9-1-1 when you are safe.
HIDE where it's safe to hide.
- If an evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide.
- Lock and blockade the door.
- Silence your cell phone.
- Hide behind large objects.
- Remain very quiet.
FIGHT if you or others around you have no other options.
- As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger:
- Try to incapacitate the shooter, if possible, act in concert with other potential victims.
- Act with great physical aggression.
- Use Improvised weapons. Throw heavy objects.
- Commit to your actions. Do not hold back.
- If in a group attack together and overwhelm the shooter with numbers.
* Law enforcement personnel are there to first STOP the shooter, not to evacuate or assist the injured. Follow their instructions quickly and quietly. Stay calm.
For more information
See these videos about response plans for an Active Shooter: