Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do when a student is injured on campus?

Call University Police (911) and the dispatcher will contact the local emergency medical services (ambulance and/or fire paramedics) for emergency medical evaluation. University police and qualified university personnel can provide initial first aid as necessary.

Students are encouraged to carry health insurance to cover medical services that may be required (i.e., ambulance services, emergency room treatment and/or hospitalization) which are beyond the scope and/or availability of the services provided by the campus Health Center.

The University does not provide transportation to the Health Center or to local emergency medical services in lieu of ambulance services.

A state employee rented a car and was involved in an automobile accident. Does Risk Management adjust the claim?

No. If the rental car was rented from one of the automobile rental agencies under contract with the state and was paid for using the American Express Corporate charge card or the blue Department of General Services charge card, the rental company will assume responsibility for any damage to their vehicle and provide the first $500,000 in liability insurance coverage. In most circumstances this would mean you report the accident to the rental car company, turn in the key, and walk away. You also need to file a vehicle accident report form (Std. 270) when you return to campus.

It should be noted that third party liability insurance coverage and indemnification is provided by the rental agency EXCEPT when the loss or damage is caused by one or more of the following:

  1. Operation of the vehicle by a driver who contributed to the accident while (and has been adjudged by the courts to have been) under the influence of alcohol (in excess of the legal limits) or any illegal non-prescription drug.
  2. Operation or use of the vehicle for any intentionally illegal purposes.

If the rental vehicle was rented from a non-state contracted agency, the employee’s personal auto insurance is the primary coverage and it may or may not include comprehensive and collision coverage for the rental vehicle. Personal credit cards sometimes provide insurance which would also be considered primary coverage; however, it may or may not include comprehensive and collision coverage, for the rental vehicle. An employee who has an accident in a non-state contracted rental vehicle is responsible for getting reimbursed by the appropriate primary insurance carrier for their liability costs. The state will only provide secondary liability and property damage coverage; it will not provide comprehensive or collision for the rental vehicle.

A state employee uses a private vehicle on state business and is involved in an automobile accident. Does Risk Management adjust the claim?

No. The employee makes a claim with his auto insurance carrier. The only insurance the State provides is secondary liability insurance over and above the maximum coverage carried by the vehicle owner.

Are students on campus covered by University insurance?

No. There is no insurance provided for incidents on campus (including in the classroom or laboratory activities) resulting in personal injury or property damage which would provide either medical services or reimbursement. Students are encouraged to have health insurance to cover medical services that may be required. The University does provide secondary insurance for injury to students traveling within the United States on University "business" such as off-campus field trips, conferences, and other approved activities up to a limit of $10,000 beyond the personal resources (including insurance) of a student.

What should I do when there is an earthquake or other local disaster?

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to review information contained in the campus Emergency Management Plan that addresses earthquakes and other disasters. The University has developed and exercises an Emergency Management Plan for response to disasters. The priorities of the plan are life safety, protection of property and continuity of University operations. The University works closely with the County Office of Emergency Services in coordination of response of emergency resources from the local cities and governmental agencies. The plan includes sheltering campus residents, evacuation of non essential personnel, safety assessment of facilities, rescue and recovery, emergency medical services, public information and many other services to protect life and property as well as reestablish University operations. Students, faculty and staff living in the local communities should familiarize themselves with the applicable city/county emergency plans (front section of the Pacific Bell phone book) for off campus emergency plans.

Are the campus activities and facilities compliant with environmental and safety regulations (asbestos, lead, chemicals, equipment, etc.)?

Compliance with applicable regulatory controls is the responsibility of the administrators, employees, faculty, supervisors, managers, and students involved in the activities and programs. Periodic inspections of equipment and facilities are recommended in addition to development and maintenance of written processes and procedures compliant with applicable local state and federal regulations. Risk Management provides support services to assist all parties in development and maintenance of a safe and compliant educational, recreational and work environment. Risk Management also investigates all reported accidents, incidents, hazardous conditions, and submitted claims.

Information About Filing a Claim under the Government Claims Act against Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo

A claim against the California State University (CSU) or one of its campuses must be timely filed with the Office of Risk Management and Public Safety after the incident or event occurred, along with a $25 claim filing fee made out to "Trustees of CSU."

Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:

The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

Visit the CSU Risk Management and Public Safety web site for further information or to obtain a claim form.

How do I initiate a request for a Cell Site Tenant Improvement Project?

This process is for Cell Site Tenants only.

Cell Site Tenant Improvement Projects can be initiated by filling out the Tenant Site Improvement Request Form and Project Intake Information Sheet and emailing it to Requests must be submitted with a current copy of the Tenant's Certificate of Insurance that meets the requirements for General Liability, Business Auto Liability, and Worker's Compensation as outlined in the current lease agreement. The Tenant must also attach any existing analysis, structural calculations, aesthetic impact reports, equipment specifications and/or any other relevant documents to the form submission email. Risk Management will request a project from Facilities Planning who will work with the Tenant on the permitting process and approval to begin work.