Non-Vehicle Accident Reporting

Faculty/Staff, University employed students and Identified University Volunteers hosting, sponsoring, setting up, leading, advising, observing, or present at an activity or facility are primarily responsible to report incidents (incidents include near misses) and accidents related to University activities.

For Employee Injuries Click Here

Incidents and Accidents [NOT involving vehicles]

Are Reported To:

  1. University Police immediately, DIAL 911, (Local law enforcement, if off Campus) there is serious bodily injury or significant property damage.
  2. Your Supervisor, as soon as possible.
  3. Risk Management, immediately
    • if there is Serious Bodily Injury, or Significant Property Damage (805-756-6755)
    • Within 24 hours if no Serious Injury or significant property damage.
    • After Business Hours & On Weekends contact University Police 805-756-2281.

A Written Report:

  • Incident/Accident Report (STD 268)
  • MUST BE completed by an employee or Identified University Volunteer and filed with Risk Management within 48 hours of the accident [Students and Visitors are NOT to fill out report Forms]
  • Form should be completed and submitted, by emailing no later than 48 hours following the incident or accident.
  • Based upon the nature of the incident/accident, Risk Management will investigate and may provide recommendations or request repairs, notify insurers, etc.

Hazardous Conditions* on campus may be reported, (by clicking on the link provided) or calling Risk Management at 805-756-6755. Contact University Police for immediate response, (Dial 911).

Students, visitors, and others shall report incidents and/or accidents by contacting University Police or may contact Risk Management in non-Emergency situations. Risk Management will follow up with the responsible University staff regarding the reported Accident/Incident.

Identified University Volunteers, university employed students, and university employees (faculty and staff) are to report their bodily injury or illness, related to their work for the University, to their SUPERVISOR IMMEDIATELY or if unable to do so, WITHIN 24 HOURS or the next business day to obtain the Workers’ Compensations form from the Workers’ Compensation Claims Coordinator at 805-756-5444 or email to

Student Injuries in University Programs


The single most important response action in the case of student, visitor or employee injury is to contact University Police (local law enforcement if off campus) to ensure that emergency medical services are made available to the injured person(s) as quickly as possible. DIAL 911 from any campus phone or 805-756-2281 from cell phones. For information on University Police emergency services see: Police Services

Note: There is no cost to the injured person or to the university, for emergency medical response by ambulance or fire department on campus. However, there is a cost for ambulance transport, if needed.


Both the University Police AND the university faculty or staff member involved (or to whom the injury was reported) perform the essential function of documenting the incident for purposes of prevention of future injuries and for managing any claims that may result.

*The faculty or staff member must complete an Incident/Accident Report form.

Emergency Medical Services

The University provides, through student fees, the services of the Health Center for health clinic level services. These services are available:

M, T, Thu, Fr 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and W 9:00 am – 4:30 pm

Emergency Medical services in the community are available at any time at hospital emergency rooms and some emergency care facilities.

Persons who are students at Cal Poly are responsible for payment of medical service they receive from hospitals, off campus medical facilities, ambulance transportation, etc.


In general, the University does not provide medical insurance for students.

Students may have health insurance coverage through their parents, through employment or may purchase health insurance to cover the costs of medical services. The Health Center provides information on a wide variety of health issues including health insurance for students. Call 805-756-1211 or visit for more information.

The University, Associated Students, Incorporated and the Cal Poly Corporation do provide medical services coverage for specific programs such as intercollegiate athletics, club sports and enterprise projects. Contact the program director for more information.

Cal Poly students traveling on approved University activities in private autos are covered by the vehicle owner's insurance. Students traveling on Cal Poly international programs are required to show proof of international accident and illness medical services coverage, if such coverage is not provided as a part of the specific program.

Questions and assistance with University insurance should be directed to the Risk Management office – 805-756-6755.

Information About Filing a Claim under the Government Claims Act against Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo

A claim against the California State University (CSU) or one of its campuses must be timely filed with the Office of Risk Management and Public Safety after the incident or event occurred, along with a $25 claim filing fee made out to "Trustees of CSU." Completed claims must be delivered or mailed to:

The California State University - Office of the Chancellor
Risk Management and Public Safety
401 Golden Shore, 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

Visit the CSU Risk Management and Public Safety web site for further information or to obtain a claim form.