Coronavirus Information from Administration & Finance

Driver Safety

Cal Poly has a Driver Safety Program which requires all employees who drive State, or privately owned vehicles, (including rental vehicles power carts, tractors, forklifts, 10+ passenger vans and any other powered vehicles), on University (State) business be approved by the campus Environmental Health & Safety Office. It is CSU policy that only University employees may drive University vehicles. Employees of non-state entities, or students driving on University business, must be an identified State Volunteer in order to drive on University business. University business is defined as “only when driven in the performance of, or necessary to, or in the course of, the duties of University employment.”.

In order to become an approved driver, please follow these steps:

  1. Submit the Request to Operate Vehicles on University (State) Business Form [Adobe Sign], to the Environmental Health & Safety Office. A copy of your driver's license must be submitted along with this form. This form must be signed by an approving State employee/supervisor. A non-state employee (Corporation, ASI, other) cannot approve this form.
  2. If you are a volunteer employee, or a non-state entity employee driving on University (State) business, you must also submit the Volunteer Assignment Form [Adobe Sign] to Environmental Health & Safety.
  3. If you are going to use your private vehicle to drive on University business, complete the Authorization to Use Privately owned Vehicles on State Business (STD 261) Form [PDF]. This form shall be retained in your department.
  4. When notified by Environmental Health & Safety, complete the University's online defensive driver training course. This course must be completed within 30 days of notification. Failure to complete the training within 30 days revokes your temporary authorization to drive on University business. Driving on University business without authorization is a violation of CSU policies and is classified as misuse of State vehicles.
  5. If you are driving a 10+ passenger van on University business at any frequency, you must complete the online CSU Passenger Van Safety course and a defensive driving course before driving on University business.
  6. Before driving other vehicles such as power carts, forklifts, aerial lifts, tractors, etc., completion of training and certification as identified in applicable CSU guidelines and Cal OSHA regulations is required. Consult EH&S if you have questions regarded to specific required training.
  7. All drivers of Fifteen (15) Passenger Vans must comply with CA Dept. of Motor Vehicle (DMV) regulations and the “CSU-Use of University and Private Vehicles” policy which requires a Class B driver’s license, medical certification, and specific DMV driving records. Drivers of Fifteen (15) Passenger Vans must complete the online CSU Passenger Van Safety course and a defensive driving course before driving on University business.

Questions regarding this process should be directed to Kathryn Villarreal at extension 6-5427 or email to:

Important: Information Security Notice

The above forms contain confidential employee information. Completed forms must be handled pursuant to the Cal Poly Information Classification and Handling Standard.

These records must be retained and disposed according to the CSU Records / Information Retention and Disposition Schedule.

University Vehicle Usage Procedures & Guidelines