Volunteer Program

Many people volunteer their time and services in support of Cal Poly’s mission, thus providing a valuable benefit to the CSU and Cal Poly. This is done in a wide variety of ways and in many different areas across campus. A volunteer is an individual who performs work or provides services to the University without remuneration of any kind. The department and volunteer must complete the Volunteer Assignment Form [Adobe Sign] prior to the start of the assignment. All volunteers will also complete Mandated Reporter Acknowledgement as part of the Adobe Sign packet.

Please click these buttons below to complete these forms.

Volunteers are eligible for workers’ compensation* and state liability coverage.  A volunteer who is authorized to drive a vehicle on official state business may be entitled to reimbursement for travel expenses in accordance with CSU policies and procedures as determined appropriate for the volunteer assignment. The Request to Operate Vehicles on University (State) Business Form [Adobe Sign] and/or the Authorization to use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business forms must be on file prior to the use of any vehicle.  The Travel Request (Form 1A) must be approved prior to the departure date.

Please click these buttons below to compelte the forms.

When utilizing a volunteer who is a minor, the following factors will apply:

Volunteers must be provided the necessary training and supervision to safely carry out the assignment. Additionally, volunteers must meet the approved license/certification requirements, Confidentiality-Security Agreement, the Responsible Use Policy, and fingerprinting and background checks, as applicable. Further, all volunteer assignments must be consistent with the CSU Nepotism Policy and the CSU Policy on the Employment of Minors, as appropriate. Duties of the volunteer assignment must not coincide with any non-exempt Cal Poly position the person may currently hold. 

Volunteers (not identified as an “instructor of record” on the Schedule of Classes) who need access to Cal Poly’s information and technology resources must complete the Affiliated Person Account Request Form and adhere to its written agreement.

Please note:

* The University does not provide Workers’ Compensation coverage to students participating in university-sponsored community service programs.  As such, students enrolled in CSU Nursing, Allied Health, Social Work, or Education credential programs are typically covered by the Student Professional Liability Insurance Program.

For questions regarding volunteers and the identification process, please contact Christina Juarez at 805-756-6674; email cdjuarez@calpoly.edu.