A number of military service related waivers may be available for students who have served in the military or have parents that have served. Student Accounts recommends starting with the Center for Military-Connected Students as your primary resource and first step in the process.
This page outlines the bulk of waivers for which Students may qualify. Military and Service-related waivers ("Sponsored Students") and waivers for California State University system employees and their dependents are the most common.
Waivers for Sponsored Students
Prospective Military-Connected Students
We are committed to providing a supportive and welcoming environment for all military-connected students. We understand the unique needs and challenges that you may face, and we are here to assist you every step of the way.
Before enrolling in our institution, it is imperative that all prospective military-connected students connect with the Center for Military-Connected Students. This connection is crucial to ensure that you receive the guidance and support you need throughout your academic journey. The CMCS is dedicated to offering a range of services tailored to your specific needs, including academic advising, resources, and a supportive community of fellow military-connected students who understand the military lifestyle.
In addition to connecting with the Center for Military-Connected Students, service members are required to obtain approval from their respective Education Services Officer (ESO), military counselor, or Service prior to enrollment. This step is vital to ensure that your educational pursuits align with your military service commitments and responsibilities. Your ESO or military counselor will provide valuable insights and guidance to help you make informed decisions about your education and will provide you with the necessary documentation required to use any military education benefits that are available to you.
We are deeply committed to supporting the academic and personal success of our military-connected students, and these measures are in place to guarantee that you have a smooth transition into our university. If you have any questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Cal Vet Dependents
To Obtain the Cal Vet Dependent Fee Waiver benefits at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo:
- Contact your local County Veterans Service Office to apply. Information can be found online at: https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx
- Once you receive the Authorization Letter from your County Veterans Service Office, submit a copy through the Center for Military-Connected Students' secure Authorization Submission form. DO NOT email as there is private information in the letter and email is not secure.
Please note the following:
- The waiver is only valid for the Academic Year noted on the authorization letter. You must re-establish eligibility for each subsequent Academic Year you plan on attending Cal Poly.
- The waiver cannot be applied retroactively to a prior Academic Year.
- To receive waiver benefits, you must be classified as a California resident by Cal Poly’s Admissions Office.
- Only the State Tuition Fee of quarterly "Registration & Other Fees" may be waived. The student is required to cover all other fees posted to the Student Account while attending the University.
- The waiver may not apply to programs without the State Tuition Fee. This includes but is not limited to most Study Abroad and programs offered through Extended Education including several graduate programs (graduate programs listed here do NOT qualify for waivers).
Veteran Educational Benefits
For information about other Veteran Educational Benefits for veterans and their dependents, such as Post 911 GI Bill, Vocational Rehab, Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship Benefits, please go to the Center for Military-Connected Students web page.
Allan Pattee Scholarship
If you think you are exempt from payment of registration fees because of eligibility for the Allan Pattee Scholarship, please contact the Cal Poly Admissions Office to make that determination well in advance of registration. Eligibility for the Allan Pattee Scholarship is described in the Financial Information - Fee Waivers and Exemptions section of the Cal Poly Catalog. Only the State Tuition Fee of quarterly "Registration & Other Fees" may be waived. The student is required to cover all other fees posted to the Student Account while attending the University.
CSU Employee Dependent - Fee Waiver Amounts
Dependents of many employees of the California State University system (including Cal Poly employees) may also be eligible to participate in the CSU Fee Waiver Program, giving them the opportunity to attend classes at CSU campuses at reduced rates. Waivers primarily depend on the CSU employee's bargaining unit.
For more information about CSU Employee Dependent fee waivers, please go to the Human Resources Professional Development website.
CSU Employee - Fee Waiver Amounts
Many employees of the California State University system (including Cal Poly employees) are eligible to participate in the CSU Fee Waiver Program, which gives eligible faculty and staff employees the opportunity to attend classes at CSU campuses at greatly reduced rates. Waivers primarily depend on the CSU employee's bargaining unit.
For more information about CSU Employee fee waivers, please go to the Human Resources Professional Development website.
With the exception of charges for the ELAP Masters program and Single Subject Certification programs, CSU Fee Waivers Are Not Applicable for Summer 2020