Fraud is on the increase, and students are falling victim. To protect yourself from becoming a victim, you should do the following:
- Get a copy of your own credit report every six months and check it carefully
- Never give your credit card number to someone who calls you or solicits it on the Internet
- Rip up or shred your old checks and bills before disposing them
- Don't use your SSN for anything other than employment
- Guard the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you use on your various credit cards. Don't write them down.
- Any email you receive that sounds like a great deal, isn't.
- If you sell anything online and you are paid by a cashier's check, cash it and wait at least 10 days for it to clear the bank before sending the item. Anyone who sends you too much money, then asks you to send back or forward the balance elsewhere is trying to rip you off. Their story is a lie.