NEW SAFETY APP — Campus safety made easy: Cal Poly provides the Rave Guardian App for all

Learn more   

Special Events

The CPPD Special Events Unit is responsible for approving major events or events requiring security personnel on campus.

Our special events range from athletic events (300 to 60,000 spectators), concerts, dances, benefit events, University and Campus events, VIP visits, and other one-time activities.

Major events for registered student’s organizations (RSO) and non-departmental personnel are defined in the "Major Events Hosted by Non-Departmental Users" policy at (add email)

Confirm your name and daytime contact phone and email, as well as the cell phone at which you will be available DURING the event.

CPPD will complete the assessment form and return it to the sender. If the event requires security, the assessment form will have a CPPD Event Security Cost Estimate form attached. The responsible person for the event will be required to complete the "Payment Information" section, sign the form and return it electronically to CPPD Events.

Note that events such as tabling or protests/demonstrations are subject to campus policies or California Laws.

Campus Administrative Policy (CAP) 141.3.2 Time Place and Manner Guidelines

The University may impose reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on exercise of the right of free expression, to preserve the safe and orderly operation of the campus.

Confirm whether Alcohol Permit is needed.

The alcohol policy governs the use of alcoholic beverages, defined as beer, wine and distilled spirits and products, at University events on and off campus, and on premises under the administration of the University and/or its auxiliary organizations. In every instance where alcohol is permitted, the individuals and organizations involved are responsible for compliance with this policy and other relevant University regulations, such as the proper use of University funds as well as applicable local, state and federal laws.

Events hosted by Graduate Student Groups or Non-Department Users where alcoholic beverages will be served may have requirements established in the campus major event policy.

Note that Undergraduate Student Groups cannot obtain Alcohol Permits for a campus event.

Use this Alcohol Permit Request Form to disclose any plans for the service of alcohol and/or the payment of entrance fees (any fee, whether collected at the door, in advance, or when purchasing a pass to an inclusive event such as a conference, even if it's called a "donation," must be disclosed).

Filling out the form will allow the CP Police to determine whether a State of California ABC Permit must be acquired.

CPPD Alcohol Permit requests need to be submitted at least 7 days prior to the event. (Web link)

Campus alcohol policy CAP 172