Safety Inspection Documents
The campus Injury and Illness Prevention Program, Section 10.1, requires departments to conduct regular safety inspections of areas under their control. These safety inspection checklists have been developed to assist departments in fulfilling this responsibility.
- All inspections for lab areas will be done on the Risk and Safety Solutions (RSS) software. Click on this link to log in: Risk and Safety Solutions. “Laboratory” is defined as a location where teaching, experimentation, or research occurs that involves hazardous substances or physical hazards. Laboratory use of chemicals is carried out on a "laboratory scale" where multiple chemical procedures or chemicals are used. Examples include, but are not limited to, chemistry labs, biology labs, some biomedical labs and engineering labs, or other similar places where chemical and/or biological hazards are present.
- All inspections for shop areas will be done on the Risk and Safety Solutions (RSS) software. Click on this link to log in: Risk and Safety Solutions. Even though "shop" areas are called laboratories on campus, a shop is defined as a place where machinery and tools are used. “Shops” include, but are not limited to research, teaching and support shops in all academic departments along with facility operations, and other applicable sites such as a theater shop. Shops may contain hazardous materials, however their scope and use is limited.
- Hazardous Material Storage Area Checklist: this form is to be used where hazardous materials are stored that are not part of a lab or shop activity area.
- Storage/Common Area Safety Checklist: Not technically a shop or lab area? Use this form.
- General Office Safety Checklist
After completion, all safety inspection checklists should be kept by the department for at least three (3) years. Periodic audits of these records may be done by Environmental Health & Safety and are subject to audits by the C.S.U. Board of Trustees.
Questions regarding safety inspections can be directed to the Environmental Health & Safety Office at extension 66662 or email@example.com.