First Aid and Campus AED Program
This page lists information and resources for first aid and the requirements for owning and maintaining an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) on campus. In addition, there are resources for on-campus training in First Aid CPR/AED training.
Cal Poly's Public Access Automated External Defibrillator Program Site Responsibilities
An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is a portable medical device which can restart the heart of a person in cardiac arrest. AEDs are simple and safe to use when the manufacturer’s instructions are followed. Departments are encouraged to explore purchasing this potentially life-saving device; however there are responsibilities and costs that come with owning and maintaining a departmental AED. Cal Poly's Public Access AED Program Site Responsibilities document outlines the program requirements for AED's on campus. Additionally, three supporting documents for the AED program are listed below.
- Google Map of AED locations
- Cal Poly's Public Access AED Program Site Responsibilities
- Cal Poly Public Access Automated External Defibrillator Program (Fillable Program)
- Public Access AED Site Notification
- Public Access AED Notification of Use
If you are interested in maintaining an AED in your department, please contact Vivian Longacre, Campus AED Program Coordinator at ext. 6-6628, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
First Aid CPR/AED Training
On campus training in First Aid CPR/AED can be obtained for a small fee from a couple different sources:
- American Red Cross First Aid CPR/AED offered through Environmental Health and Safety. View course listings and enroll in the Instructor Led Courses section of Skillport. Departments may also schedule training for groups of up to 10. Contact Vivian Longacre: email@example.com for more information.
- American Heart Association (AHA) First Aid CPR/AED through the Cal Poly CPR/First Aid Program in partnership with the Health Center offers classes on campus. Contact: CalPolyCPR@gmail.com or see their website here: Cal Poly CPR Program
- American Red Cross First Aid, CPR/AED, and lifeguard certification courses for the campus community are offered quarterly, with the exception of summer through ASI (http://www.asi.calpoly.edu/). Contact Staley McCartney: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.