Awards and Accolades
Cal Poly strives to demonstrate leadership in sustainability – both in operations and academics. In 2016, Cal Poly received its 25th Best Practice Award from the UC/CSU/CCC Energy Efficiency Partnership Program, received significant CSU funding and utility incentives for energy conservation, and received its second consecutive designation as a Tree Campus USA.
California Higher Education Sustainability Conference Best Practice Awards:(click on the links to review each awards supplemental information)
- 2017 Student Leadership- Student Sustainability Leadership Summit, award nomination and presentation.
- 2017 Dining Services- Sustainable dining to reduce the university’s foodprint award nomination.
- 2017 Innovative Waste Reduction Honorable Mention- Cooperation (and good data) makes it happen! award nomination.
- 2017 Sustainability Innovations- Creative Solutions for Large Scale Renewables award nomination.
- 2016 HVAC Retrofit- Variable Chilled Water Pumping and Plant Optimization, award nomination and presentation.
- 2015 Water Efficiency and Site Water Quality – Drought Reponse Planning, award nomination , presentation, and case study.
- 2015 Sustainability Innovations – Creative Project Finance, award nomination.
- 2015 Sustainability in Academics – Sustainable Environments Minor, award nomination.
- 2014 Sustainability Innovations – Sustainable Infrastructure and Energy Initiative, award nomination and presentation.
- 2013 Communicating Sustainability – Sustainability Educational Outreach Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2012 Sustainability Innovations – Sustainability Mentors Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2012 Water Efficiency and Site Water Quality – Irrigation Water Conservation & Site Water Quality Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2012 Student Sustainability Program – PowerSave Green Campus Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2011 Sustainable Design – Poly Canyon Village, award nomination and presentation.
- 2010 HVAC Design/Retrofit- Student Recreation Center Expansion/Remodel, award nomination and presentation.
- 2010 Lighting Design/Retrofit - Honorable Mention- Student Recreation Center Expansion/Remodel, award nomination and presentation.
- 2010 Student Sustainability Program- Green Campus Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2009 Overall Sustainable Design- Warren Baker Center for Science.
- 2009 Lighting Design/ Retrofit- Warren Baker Center for Science, award nomination, presentation, and case study.
- 2009 HVAC Design/ Retrofit- HVAC Technology Demonstration, award nomination, presentation, DART System case study, and Kitchen Demand Ventilation System case study.
- 2009 Student Energy Efficiency- Cal Poly Green Campus Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2008 Sustainable Design- Bonderson Senior Projects Center, award nomination and presentation.
- 2008 HVAC Design- Engineering IV Satellite Chiller Plant, award nomination and presentation.
- 2008 Innovative Waste Reduction- Integrated Waste Management Program, award nomination and presentation.
- 2007 Water Efficiency/Site Water Quality- Low Flow Plumbing Fixture Retrofits, award nomination and presentation.
- 2007 Honorable Mention Renewable for Innovative Energy Generation for Engineering West 135 kW Solar PV Installation, award nomination and system performance data.
- 2006 Sustainable Operations, Building HVAC Systems- Performing Arts Center Building User HVAC Control Panel, project Summary.
- 2006 Honorable Mention Student Energy Efficiency- Engineering Services Student Assistant Training Program, award nomination.
- 2005 Load Management- Performing Arts Center and Central Plant Chiller Relocation Project, award nomination.
United States Green Building Council- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Awards
- 2015 LEED-NC Gold Certification- Warren J. Baker Center, view the press release.
- 2013 LEED-EB Gold Certification- Recreation Center, view the press realease.
- 2009 LEED-NC Gold Certification, Poly Canyon Village Student Housing- View the LEED Application Scorecard short version or long version, view the Project Design Narrative.
- 2008 LEED-EB Silver Certification- Faculty Offices East Building. View the LEED Application Scorecard short version or long version, view the LEED Certification project overview.
- 2016 CSU Campus as Living Lab Grant – Electrical Engineering Microgrid Lab - $31,000
- 2016 So Cal Gas Savings by Design Incentive for the Warren J. Baker Center for Science - $134,000
- 2016 CSU Chancellor's Office capital allocation for Energy Information System - $300,000
- 2016 College of Architecture named to the National Resilience Initiative Network
- 2016 CSU Chancellor's Office capital allocation for water conservation - $305,000
- 2015 UC/CSU/CCC Energy Efficiency Partnership Program Rebates - $254,000
Other Awards and Recognition
- 2015 National Arbor Day Foundation – Tree Campus USA Certification
- 2011 College Sustainability Report Card, Overall Rating B+. Cal Poly received the highest rating of any CSU campus.
- 2010 College Sustainability Report Card, Overall Rating B+. Cal Poly named a "Sustainability Leader" and received highest rating of any CSU campus.
- 2009 University of South Florida National Center for Transit Research- Gold Winner - Best Workplaces for Commuters Race to Excellence. View the Best Workplaces website.
- 2009 College Sustainability Report Card, Overall Rating B-. Cal Poly the first and only CSU campus to be recognized.
- 2009 Alliance to Save Energy Outstanding Green Campus Marketing and Publicity Campaign- Red Brick Dorm Energy Competition.
- 2008 National Wildlife Federation National Report Card on Sustainability in Higher Education. Cal Poly named "The Leading School for Environmental Sustainability Goal Setting" and "A Leading Employer of Environmental Management and Sustainability Professionals." View the 2008 NWF Report Card results.
- 2008 Alliance to Save Energy Most Innovative Green Campus Student Project- "LEED the Way" Student Rec Center LEED Certification Initiative. View the project summary in the Green Campus Newsletter or view the student outreach video.
- 2008 Peterson's Survey of Sustainability Efforts in Higher Education. Review Cal Poly's response to this survey .
- 2006 San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District Air Pollution Reduction Award- Engineering West 135 kW Solar PV Installation, view the Air Pollution Reduction Award
- 2006 Flex Your Power Award Honoree, Summer Demand Response Program.