Architectural Trades: Facilities Operations

Architectural Trades include:

Our Architectural Trades deliver cost-effective, timely, courteous, and professional work, providing a safe, comfortable, and enhanced learning/working environment. These trade shops are responsible for over six million square feet of building space campus wide, including State-funded buildings and residence halls.

All shops complete emergency response, preventive maintenance, campus maintenance requests, and small department-funded recharge work. Maintenance and recharge work can be requested via Service Request or by calling Facilities Management & Development Help Center at 805-756-5555.

Carpenter Shop

All work associated with the interior and exterior building structure and components can be handled by the Carpenter Shop. This includes repairs to doors and door jambs, floors, ceilings, wall systems, windows and window coverings, construction of interior walls, cabinets, shelving, and counters, building roof systems, retaining walls, sidewalk forming and pouring, and restroom maintenance and repair. The shop also provides special event services for graduation, Open House, presidential functions, WOW week, athletic events, and other event services as requested.

Campus Clocks

The Carpenter Shop maintains campus clocks. GPS/Satellite and wireless clocks are located in most general purpose lecture rooms throughout campus. These clocks pick up a signal by satellite and automatically adjust to the correct time. If a clock does not automatically adjust within 48 hours of Daylight Savings, contact the Facilities Help Center at 805-756-5555,, or via the Facilities Customer and Business Services link on the Cal Poly Portal.

Clocks in general purpose lecture rooms will be maintained at no charge. Departments may request clocks be installed or batteries replaced in other locations, such as department offices or teaching labs, for a charge.

Electric Shop

The Electric Shop is responsible for the repair and maintenance of all power supplied to the entire campus, which includes the main campus and residence halls. The campus electrical distribution system is maintained by electrical shop personnel and provided from two substations through either underground conduit or in overhead cabling. These systems provide all electrical needs to the campus buildings through various transformers which supply the different voltages as required by the campus customer. The Electric Shop maintains all light fixtures on campus and all electrical service required to power building equipment. Additionally, the Electric Shop personnel provide assistance to new building construction and remodel projects.

Lock Shop

All work associated with the proper functioning of door lock mechanisms and security on all campus, state buildings, residence halls and apartment doors is the responsibility of the Lock Shop. This includes removal of broken keys, core changes, lockset repairs, automatic door initial response problems, door closure repairs, repairs to building exit door hardware, and preventive maintenance.

Locksmiths work on a recharge basis, available to departments who need a different type of entry system, such as combination lock, push button, and electronic door access system or core changes. The Locksmiths are dedicated to providing quick response lock repairs and security to the campus community.

The Lock Shop is also responsible to issue authorized keys to staff and faculty.

Paint Shop

Public Areas in State Buildings

General maintenance painting is provided on an "as needed" basis at no cost for classrooms, restrooms, hallways, instructional areas and other public areas. Please note that under normal conditions paint lasts approximately 10 years. All requests for maintenance painting are evaluated for paint condition. Maintenance painting is performed only with standard campus colors.

Graffiti Removal

Paint Shop personnel are also responsible for removing campus graffiti. If you observe graffiti please immediately notify Facilities Management & Development Help Center at 805-756-5555.

Departmental Office Areas in State Buildings

Maintenance painting for departmental office areas is also provided at no charge, provided the supervising Painter has evaluated that the existing paint qualifies. Standard campus colors are used. Departments may request painting if the current paint has not deteriorated or a color different than the campus standard on a recharge basis.

Non-State Facilities

Campus Auxiliaries (Corporation, ASI, etc.) are responsible for all painting in these areas. All painting must have an approved Building Permit before work begins. Auxiliaries may also request an estimate for service from Facilities Operations.


Facilities Management & Development Help Center