Solid Waste & Recycling
Cal Poly contracts for collection of solid waste and recycling. Cal Poly Facilities Operations operates an integrated waste management program that includes source use reduction, recycling, green waste, resale of scrap metal and surplus equipment, and zero waste event catering.
Recycling containers are provided to faculty, staff, and students by Facilities Operations, and collection is performed by Custodial Services. For questions regarding recycling services email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Sustainability website.
*PLEASE NOTE disposal and/or dumping of personal or household waste from off campus is strictly prohibited. Violations will be referred to Cal Poly Police Department (CPPD) for investigation and offenders may be subject to penalty.
What Items and Materials Can Be Recycled?
These items CAN be recycled:
- Most paper, including:
- Envelopes (even with windows)
- Junk mail
- Stapled Paper
- Most Plastics (except Styrofoam #6)
- All empty beverage containers
- Glass, plastic & aluminum
These items CANNOT be recycled:
- Aerosol cans
- Ceramic materials
- Hazardous material
- Light bulbs
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Squeezable paper juice containers
- Styrofoam cups and plates
- Wax paper
The following universal wastes and materials require special handling for recycling or disposal, please use the guidelines below.
- Batteries may be recycled by delivering to the Facilities Warehouse, Building 70A.
- Fluorescent Tubes contain mercury and should be delivered to the Facilities Warehouse for proper disposal.
- Compact Fluorescent Lamps contain mercury and should be delivered to the Facilities Warehouse for proper disposal.
- Printer toner cartridges will be recycled rather than ending up in the landfill with the Clean Planet Program from Konica Minolta. Ultrex, Cal Poly’s photocopier provider, will place a Konica Minolta Clean Planet Box by each machine for all empty toner and ink cartridges – Konica, Dell, HP, Brother, etc… at no cost to the University. Contact Ultrex at email@example.com to request a box at your location or to request pick-up of a full box.
- Asbestos and lead may only be handled by trained and certified personnel. If you believe asbestos or lead containing materials have been damaged or disturbed, please contact the Facilities Help Center at 805-756-5555, or contact Environmental Health and Safety at 805-756-6665.