Moving & Surplus

Moving Services

The Facilities Operations Moving Crew assists departments on campus with moving furniture and other items. To request assistance from the moving crew, submit a Moving Request Form or call the Facilities Management & Development Help Center at 805-756-5555.

Surplus Property

The Facilities Operations Moving Crew is also responsible for removing surplus property (items no longer needed or wanted by departments) on campus, upon request.

State Property that is no longer needed or wanted on campus (surplus) must first be surveyed by the Property Accounting Office. Departments can complete a Request to Survey Form and submit it to the Property Office to begin the process. Once approved, a red tag will be generated and delivered to the requesting party. After the red tag has been affixed to the item, the Moving Crew can be contacted at with the item's location and it will be scheduled for removal.

For more information on the surveying procedure please contact the Property Accounting Office at 805-756-2570 or visit their website, and forms.

Other miscellaneous items not tagged as state property can be scheduled for a pickup by completing a Surplus Pickup Form and emailing it to Questions? Call the Facilities Help Center at 805-756-5555. Surplus pickups are a recharge service so don’t forget to include a chartfield string.

Need information on disposal of hazardous waste including e-waste such as computer equipment? Environmental Health and Safety has information and guidelines that can help.

Public Surplus

Campus surplus items (items no longer wanted by departments) are listed on an internet auction site at To view items on auction from Cal Poly, click here . To bid on an item, one must first create an account on Public Surplus.

There are two different types of accounts. One is for bidding on items that are for public sale, to register for this type of account navigate to the upper right corner of the auction homepage. The second type of account is for requesting auction items that are set aside for internal reallocation, to register for this type of account please contact the Surplus Department by email for specific instruction and a registration code.

Internal reallocation items are placed on non-public auctions for fourteen days where they may be claimed by campus personnel for on campus use only. Once claimed, these auction items can be picked up at the Surplus Warehouse which is located on Mt. Bishop Road on the far west side of parking lot H-1, Bldg. 50J. If desired, items may be delivered for a charge, please use the Moving Request Form .

After an item is on an internal reallocation auction for fourteen days and has not been claimed by any campus personnel the auction is then released for public sale and is no longer available for internal reallocation.

The public auction usually lasts seven days. The item is awarded to the highest bidder. Items must be paid for within seven (7) business days and picked up within three (3) business days after payment is made. If winning bidder defaults, the item is awarded to the next highest bidder. To pay for an item, go to the State Cashiers’ Office in Admin Building 01 Room 131E with the winning notice emailed from Public Surplus. Payments must be in the form of cash or money order.

After payment auction winners may pick up their items at the Public Surplus Warehouse which is open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday (closed on Friday).

Items that have been placed on the Internet auction site can generate income for originating departments only if the auction item sells for over $500.00. Items that sell for less than $500.00 are not eligible for departmental funding.

Gage Sahl

Moving and Surplus Coordinator

Moving and Surplus Hours:

Monday -Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (holidays excluded)


Facilities Management & Development Help Center