Moving & Surplus

Moving Services

The Moving Crew is available for moves on campus on a case-by-case basis. To schedule moves or review moving procedures, please see the Moving Request Form or call the Facilities Management & Development Help Center at 805-756-5555.

Surplus Property

The Facilities Operations Surplus Property and Moving Crew is responsible for removing surplus property (items no longer needed or wanted by departments) on campus, upon request.

State Property that is no longer needed or wanted on campus (surplus) will first need to be surveyed by the Property Accounting Office. To do this a Request to Survey Form will need to be filled out and processed. After approval, a red tag will be generated and delivered to the requesting party. After the red tag has been affixed to the item, the Surplus Property Department can then be contacted by email at with the item's location and it will be scheduled for removal.

For more information on the surveying procedure please contact the Property Accounting Office at 805-756-2570 or visit their website, and forms.

Non-tagged and miscellaneous surplus items can be picked up from your department by completing the Facility Services Surplus Pick Up Form. Fill out the form and mail or fax (756-6114) it to the Facilities Work Center, or call 805-756-5555 for more information. A chartfield string will be required to recharge the department for the labor needed to remove item(s).

Harzardous Waste and Materials Guidelines

E Waste Guidelines

Public Surplus

Campus surplus items (those items no longer wanted by departments) are listed on an internet auction site at To view items on auction from Cal Poly, Click Here. To bid on an item, one must first create an account on Public Surplus.

There are two different types of accounts. One is for bidding on items that are for public sale, to register for this type of account navigate to the upper right corner of the auction homepage. The second type of account is for requesting auction items that are set aside for internal reallocation, to register for this type of account please contact the Surplus Department by email for specific instruction and a registration code.

Internal reallocation items are placed on non-public auctions for fourteen days where they may be claimed by campus personnel for on campus use only. Once claimed, these auction items can be picked up at the Surplus Warehouse which is located on Mt. Bishop Road on the far west side of parking lot H-1, Bldg.50J (direct link to interactive map). If desired, items may be delivered for a charge (chartfield string must be supplied). Please use Moving Request Form.

After an item is on an internal reallocation auction for fourteen days and has not been claimed by any campus personnel the auction is then released for public sale and is no longer available for internal reallocation.

The public auction usually lasts seven days. The item is awarded to the highest bidder. Item must be paid for within seven (7) business days and picked up within three (3) business days after payment is made. If winning bidder defaults, the item is awarded to the next highest bidder. To pay for an item, go to the State Cashiers’ Office in Admin Building 01 Room 131E. (see map) with the winning notice emailed from Public Surplus. Payments must be in the form of cash or money order.

Auction winners may pick up their items (after payment) at the Public Surplus Warehouse (direct link to interactive map) from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday (closed on Friday).

Items that have been placed on the Internet auction site can generate income for originating departments only if the auction item sells for over $500.00. Items that sell for less than $500.00 are not eligible for departmental funding.


Gage Sahl
Moving and Surplus Coordinator
Phone: 805-756-5449

Moving and Surplus Hours:
Monday -Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (holidays excluded)