Tent & Canopy Use Permits

Planning an activity on campus involving tents or canopy structures? Use of tents and canopies require a building permit. Under Fire and Life Safety Standards of Titles 19 and 24, California Code of Regulations, tents and temporary membrane structures having combined areas in excess of 200 square feet and canopies in excess of 400 square feet will require a permit.

You will need to submit the plans/layout and permit request a minimum of 30 days in advance to allow for processing through State Fire Marshall (SFM). To apply for a permit, complete the form and email as an attachment to facilities-cbs@calpoly.edu. Questions? Call us at 805-756-5555.

A permit must be requested and issued prior to processing a Purchase Order (PO). It is recommended that event planners not commit to a tent/canopy service provider until the permit & PO's are available. The permit process may include special instruction which have to be completed by the event host or tent/canopy service provider. Please allow up to six weeks lead time on permits.

Hosting events requiring awnings, canopies, or tent structures two or more times a year in the same geographic location? You may qualify for a yearly permit on pre-approved events, (i.e. graduation ceremony, book sales, Open House) Contact the Facilities Management & Development Help Center at facilities-cbs@calpoly.edu.


Facilities Management & Development Help Center