Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs).
A PPO is a form of managed care, but it is more similar to a traditional "fee-for-service" type plan. PPOs contract with doctors, hospitals, and other providers to provide services for an agreed-upon charge. You may choose to use a non-contracting doctor, but you will pay a higher co-payment (40% vs 20%) These plans are available statewide and some are available outside of California.
Unlike an HMO, where a primary care physician directs all your care, a PPO allows you to select a provider and a specialist without a referral. There are annual deductibles to meet before the plan will pay benefits, (other than doctor visits), and you are responsible for a certain percentage of the charges (co-insurance). The plan pays the balance up to the contracted amount.
CalPERS CompareCalPERS Compare is a one-stop-shop for current enrollees of the Basic PERSCare, PERSChoice, PERS Select health plans. This online tool is available at no additional cost and helps you track your expenses, Castlight Health.
- Compare qulaity information and prices in order to make informed decisions.
- Shop for convenient, quality health care services; prescriptions and doctors in your network.
- Track all your medical spending.
- View estimated costs of future services.
PERS Choice, PERS Select, or PERS Care
- Visit website
- PERS Anthem Blue Cross PPO Online Provider Directory
- OptumRx Prescription Information
- 2018 PERS Choice PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Choice PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2018 PERS Select PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Select PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2018 PERS Care PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Care PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage