Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs).
A PPO is a form of managed care, but it is more similar to a traditional "fee-for-service" type plan. PPOs contract with doctors, hospitals, and other providers to provide services for an agreed-upon charge. You may choose to use a doctor outside their network, but you will pay a higher co-payment. These plans are available statewide and some are available outside of California.
Unlike an HMO, where a primary care physician directs all your care, a PPO allows you to select a provider and a specialist without referral. There are annual deductibles to meet before the plan will pay benefits and you are responsible for a certain percentage of the charges (co-payments). The plan pays the balance up to the agreed-upon amount.
PERS Choice, PERS Select, or PERS Care
- Visit website
- PERS Anthem Blue Cross PPO Online Provider Directory
- OptumRx Prescription Information
- 2018 PERS Choice PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Choice PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2018 PERS Select PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Select PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2018 PERS Care PPO Evidence of Coverage (EOC)
- PERS Care PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage