Tax Deferred Savings
The following programs allow eligible employees to save toward retirement by investing pre-tax contributions in tax-deferred investments. These contributions are made through payroll deductions, prior to federal and state taxes being calculated.
- Tax Shelter Annuity – 403(b), Administered by Fidelity. All employees are eligible to participate in a 403(b), regardless of time base (with the exception of certain student classifications),including rehired annuitants
- Thrift Plan – 401(k) and; Deferred Compensation Plan – 457, Administered by Savings Plus Program. Eligible for 401(k) or 457 enrollment?
2017 Tax Deferred Plans Comparison Chart
403(b) Universal Availability Notice
Tax Deferred Savings Plans - 2017 Limits
- 403(b) = $18,000
- 401(k) = $18,000
- 457 = $18,000
- Combination of 401(k) and 403(b) = $18,000
- Combination of 401k/403b ($18,000) and 457 ($18,000) = $36,000
- Catch-up provision for all three plans for employees over the age of 50 = $6,000
- Catch-up provision for the 403b plan for employees who have worked at least 15 years may be eligible to contribute an additional $3,000 per year for up to 5 years for a total of $15,000. Employees who wish to contribute using this catch-up provision must demonstrate eligibility by completing the CSU Max Contribution Allowance Worksheet.
More detailed information about the TSA program, including "How To" webcasts and information about contract exchanges, loans and hardship withdrawals, annual contribution limits and catch-up worksheets can be found on the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal.
403 (b) Plan
To enroll in the 403(b) plan, visit: Fidelity Net Benefits; CSU TSA Enrollment Flyer . To schedule a one-on-one appointment, please visit getguidance.fidelity.com
401(k) or 457 Plan
To enroll in either the 401(k) or 457 plan, visit: Savings Plus Program.