Tax Deferred Savings
The following programs allow eligible employees to save toward retirement by investing pre-tax contributions in tax-deferred investments. These contributions are made through payroll deductions, prior to federal and state taxes being calculated.
- Tax Shelter Annuity – 403(b), is administered by Fidelity Investments. All employees are eligible to participate in a 403(b), regardless of time base including rehired annuitants; (Exception - certain student classifications).
- Thrift Plan – 401(k) and; Deferred Compensation Plan – 457, Administered by Savings Plus Program. All employees are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan, including rehired annuitants; (Exception - certain student classifications). Some employees are eligible to enroll in the 457 plan, it depends on the classification and time base.
2019 Tax Deferred Plans Comparison Chart
403(b) Universal Availability Notice
Tax Deferred Savings Plans - 2018 Limits
- 403(b) = $18,500
- 401(k) = $18,500
- 457 = $18,500
- Combination of 401(k) and 403(b) = $18,500
- Combination of 401k/403b ($18,500) and 457 ($18,500) = $37,000
- Catch-up provision for each plan for employees over the age of 50 = $6,000
- Catch-up provision for the 403b plan for employees who have worked at least 15 years may be eligible to contribute an additional $3,000 per year for up to 5 years for a total of $15,000. Employees who wish to contribute using this catch-up provision must demonstrate eligibility by completing the CSU Max Contribution Allowance Worksheet [excel].
Tax Sheltered Annunity (TSA) Plan Contacts
403(b) Plan - Plan ID: 50537
- Create an 403(b) account at: Fidelity Net Benefits
Instructions to create a Fidelity Account [pdf]
- Estimate your monthly contribution amount
- Enter your monthly amount prior to the 5th of the month for a deduction on your next paycheck*
*Initial contribution may take an additional pay cycle
- Need Assistance with contribution amount or plan choice? Schedule a one-on-one appointment with Christel Whittier visit getguidance.fidelity.com
You will need to set up an account prior to scheduling an appointment.
Campus Representative: George Nofel
Or contact Customer Call Center: (800) 343-0860
Enter your social security number then # 0 (zero), # 0 (zero) to reach a representative
Hours: 5am - 9pm (Pacific time) Monday - Friday
401(k) or 457 Plan
More detailed information about the TDS program, including "How To" webcasts and information about contract exchanges, loans and hardship withdrawals, annual contribution limits and catch-up worksheets can be found on the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal.
The 457 plan contains a "Traditional catch-up" contribution which may allow you to contribute a higher amount to make up for the years you were eligible to contribute to the 457(b) plan, but did not maximize your contribution for those years. The 401(k) does not contain this provision.
To create an account for either the 401(k) or 457 plan, visit: Savings Plus Program.
Campus Representative: Sherri Panttaja
Phone #: (559) 254-3152
Representative: Greg Sabin
Phone #: (855) 616-4776
Or contact Customer Service at (855) 616-4776