CSU Expanded COVID-19 Related (Paid) Leave for Staff
The following represented and unrepresented staff employees may request up to 128 hours (16 days) of CSU Expanded COVID-19 Related Leave (ECRL).
- Unit 1, Physicians (UAPD)
- Units 2, 5, 7 and 9, California State University Employees (CSUEU)
- Unit 4, Academic Professionals of California (APC)
- Unit 8, Statewide University Police Association (SUPA)
- Confidential (C99)
- Management Personnel Program (MPP/M80)
Employees in Unit 6, Skilled Crafts (Teamsters 2010), may request up to 256 hours (32 days) of CSU ECRL.
This form is not to be used by faculty (Unit 3), academic student employees (Unit 11 Instructional Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Graduate Assistants), or student assistants. Retired annuitants are not eligible for ECRL.
- ECRL is available between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
- Unused ECRL has no value if an employee separates from CSU employment.
- ECRL hours are pro-rated for part-time employees.
- FLSA exempt employees may only use ECRL in full-day increments.
- Non-exempt employees may use ECRL in less than full-day increments.
To request ECRL, employees shall complete, sign and submit the CSU ECRL Request Form (AdobeSign link below) to their appropriate administrator. Employees should provide as much advance notice as possible; however, employees may verbally request the use of ECRL and follow up with a completed form. Employees requesting retroactive ECRL for time already taken that they believe qualifies for ECRL shall submit the ECRL Request form for approval and reimbursement of personal leave credits or pay for docked time.
PERMISSIBLE USES OF LEAVE – Qualifying Reasons to Use ECRL
- Employee is subject to a quarantine or isolation period related to COVID-19 as defined by federal, state, or local orders or guidelines.
- Employee has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- Employee is attending an appointment to receive a vaccine for protection against contracting COVID-19.
- Employee is experiencing symptoms related to a COVID-19 vaccine that prevent them from being able to work or telework.
- Employee is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Employee is caring for a family member who is subject to a quarantine or isolation order or guideline or who has been advised to self-quarantine by a health care provider due to concerns related to COVID-19.
- Employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed or otherwise unavailable for reasons related to COVID-19.
Reporting the Use of ECRL to Payroll
The CSU ECRL Request form is to be used only to request the use of ECRL. Actual time used must also be submitted through Absence Management Self Service (AMSS). ECRL hours are to be entered in AMSS under “PAL/FFCRA” with “ECRL” included in Comments. If employee has reported use of their personal leave credits (i.e. sick, vacation, CTO) or were in dock pay status in a past month (beginning January 1, 2021) for an absence that may be covered by ECRL, employee will indicate that on the form and Payroll will make the adjustments to leave credits or pay.
Employees must self-certify that the facts stated on the ECRL Request form and reasons for requesting ECRL are accurate and in full compliance with CSU policies for ECRL requirements. Employees requesting ECRL may be asked to substantiate the reason for the leave in accordance with current Bargaining Unit MOU and/or CSU Policies by Human Resources.