Depending on the scope of your furniture needs, a furniture wavier, building permit, or purchase order may be required. Review the Furniture Guidelines and How To Buy instructions below prior to making any furniture purchase.
Before You Buy
Before you buy – consider this; you have a responsibility to help Cal Poly meet our sustainability goals. You are asked to purchase furniture meeting one or more of the following certifications: BIFMA Level, Cradle to Cradle (C2C), SCS Indoor Advantage Gold, GREENGUARD Gold.
End of life procedures should prioritize 1) repurposing furniture with other departments on campus, 2) selling or donating to local non-profit or state organizations, and 3) sending to a recycler that directs the furniture away from landfills.
For larger furniture projects, consider Facilities to assist since they offer project management services. They can coordinate the following on your behalf: supplier relations, permits, purchase orders, movers/surplus, painting, custodial, carpentry, data ports, and electrical needs.
How To Buy
Competitive Bid Requirements
No bid necessary; one quote
- Select a supplier. See list below for preferred furniture suppliers.
- Obtain a quote from the supplier
- Consider if the furniture supplier will provide any on-campus delivery, assembly, or installation.
- A Facilities Building permit may be needed. Review the activities requiring a building permit and request a building permit. Provide the approved permit to your Procurement Specialist.
- If a ProCard or Vendor Payment Request Form will be used, call or email your assigned Procurement Specialist to obtain a furniture waiver number. Provide these items:
- Total cost
- The specific items for purchase (link to website or quote, and quantity)
- The name on the ProCard to be used, if applicable
- A description of the office/space/physical location where the furniture will be used, and the proposed placement of the new furniture.
- Confirmation the supplier will not be coming on campus to deliver, assemble, or install the furniture
- Your Procurement Specialist will provide a furniture waiver number, if approved, after considering: impacts on ADA accessibility of the space, if the items require seismic bracing or other services, flammability standards on cloth or upholstered items, and, if applicable, review of the approved building permit.
- Place order with supplier.
- If installation into walls, floors, ceilings, or building systems is required, and the furniture supplier will NOT be doing this work, complete a Facilities Request on the Cal Poly Portal. (Examples: hanging a white board/bulletin board, or seismic bracing on items over 45 inches tall)
ProCard - with furniture waiver
Enter the waiver number in PeopleSoft in the ProCard reconciliation field for the purchase. Furniture is a prohibited item without a waiver per ProCard policy.
Vendor Payment Request - with furniture waiver
Enter the waiver number on this form to show the furniture purchase was reviewed by your Procurement Specialist.
Competitive Bid Requirements
Two to three vendor quotes usually required
- Consider Facilities to assist with your project.
- If yes, complete a Facilities Request on the Cal Poly Portal
- If no, proceed below
- A Facilities Building permit may be needed. Review the activities requiring a building permit and request a building permit. Provide the approved permit to your Procurement Specialist via Requisition or email.
- Select 2-3 suppliers to provide quotes. See list below for preferred furniture suppliers.
- Review quotes and select the solution that best fits your needs.
- Enter a Requisition, include all quotes obtained, specifying your requested supplier, and, if required, attach the approved building permit. Your assigned Procurement Specialist will review the request and send a Purchase Order to the supplier to confirm the order.
- If installation onto walls, floors, ceiling, or building systems is required and the furniture supplier will NOT be doing this work, complete a Facilities Request on the Cal Poly Portal. (Examples: hanging a white board/bulletin board, or seismic bracing on items over 45 inches tall)
- Supplier provides an invoice after furniture is delivered and any services are completed.
Contact your assigned Procurement Specialist
Due to ADA compliance requirements and potential installation considerations, your Procurement Specialist needs to review all furniture requests PRIOR to purchase. A furniture waiver, building permit, or Purchase Order may be required.
A furniture waiver is required to purchase furniture using a ProCard or Vendor Payment Request Form, and must be obtained from your Procurement Specialist PRIOR to purchase. See procurement process instructions for purchases of up to $2,500.
A Facilities Building Permit may be required depending on impacts to ADA compliance, building codes, structural concerns, fire and life safety codes, and potential disruption to asbestos or lead paint.
A Purchase Order is required for all furniture purchases that include on-campus delivery, assembly, or installation, regardless of dollar amount. There are additional considerations involved such as risk management, insurance requirements, and labor law compliance that require review and contracting by a Procurement Specialist.