Gift cards or gift certificates for general merchandise are considered cash equivalents regardless of dollar amount or funding source and may be reportable and taxable, therefore:
- Pre-approval from the University Controller is necessary for a gift card or multiple gift cards totaling an excess of $100;
- Gift cards over $100 is considered taxable income to the recipient;
- Gift cards or certificates are allowable only when purchased on a Cal Poly ProCard and must follow Table 1 below;
- Reimbursement are not allowed for gift card purchases. Payment Services will not process any Reimbursements after October 1, 2021 regardless when purchased.
|Merchant (where to be used)||Do Not Exceed Amount|
|Nominal 3rd party (i.e. Starbucks, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.)||$ 25|
1 Retirement only
2 Retirement gift or total of multiple gifts (including gift cards and/or merchandise) above $100 must be reported to Payroll 60 days before retirement date to allow for tax withholdings since this is considered taxable income.
How to Buy
- Fill out Gift Card Request Form
- Submit to email@example.com
- ProCard administrator will contact USBank to unblock the merchant code to allow the purchase on the card; cards can only be held open for up to 10 days
- Cardholder can purchase gift cards per request form
Visit the ProCard webpage for information and application.