Office Supplies & Services
Before You Buy
Before you buy – consider this; you have a responsibility to help Cal Poly meet our sustainability goals. You are asked to purchase office supplies that contain recycled content and are reusable rather than disposable.
- Per State requirements, all paper products purchased must be at least 30 percent (30%) post-consumer fiber by fiber weight or agricultural residue content.
- When possible, wood-based fiber paper products shall be either Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), and/or Green Seal (GS-07) certified. Additional preference can be given for paper that is Processed Chlorine Free (PCF).
- All purchased non-paper office supplies shall meet a minimum 30% recycled content for all writing utensils (dry erase markers, highlighters, markers, pens, and pencils) or other plastic-based accessories.
- All purchased toner shall have at least 10% post-consumer material, have a high yield remanufactured cartridges, and have a vendor-offered program that will take back the printer cartridge after their useful life to ensure that the cartridge is recycled and complies with the definition of recycled, per requirements of SABRC. Toner cartridges that are only refilled or recharged do not qualify.
- Buyers are encourage to purchase rechargeable batteries, with exception for use in smoke alarms, emergency kits, and research related equipment.
- All purchased lamps will be low mercury lamps, with the exception of lamps used for research related equipment.